7 Ways to Feel at Home in Your New Apartment
Moving into your own apartment can be very exciting … your new space is a blank canvas that you can make yours by simply adding one element: PERSONALITY!
You want to make it yours; to add the sparkle that is a reflection of you; to transform your apartment into a home. The Danish call it HYGGE, pronounced “hue-guh,” meaning cozy, comfortable, and contented.
Here are some steps you can take to convert your generic white-walled residence into your very own personal haven.
- Clean it! Before you do anything else, a deep clean is in order. Give yourself a fresh start by scrubbing away the remnants of the past tenants. The bonus is that while cleaning you’ll get familiar with every nook and cranny of your new apartment and it will begin to feel familiar.
- Paint it! If permissible, select a wall color that is more “you.” Without spending a lot of money, you can change the look and feel of your space with just a coat or two of paint. You can simply paint an accent wall or change the entire color scheme of the apartment to suit your personality.
- Light it! The right lighting design can turn a drab space into a comfortable and functional one. Lighting should be planned for function so that you have the appropriate amount and type of light for the area. Where will you relax with a book? Will you have a specific area for your computer work? What color bulbs are best for the bedroom? Visit lighting stores and ask the experts or do a bit of research on the Internet.
- Decorate it! Bring out the knick-knacks, throw pillows, and wall art that you treasure and find the best space to display them. Sentimental items like a hand-crocheted blanket, a favorite photo or painting, or a souvenir from your travels will instantly bring your apartment to life and give it a dose of hygge.
- Hang it! It’s important to bring a sense of privacy to your new home. Bare widows need to be dressed to give your apartment a feeling of completeness. Whether you choose curtains, drapes, or simply valences depends on your style. The object is to create unity with your furniture and décor.
- Frame it! Unpack photos of friends and family. Put some on a bookshelf or use magnets to affix them to your refrigerator. Create a montage of photos on an accent wall. Nothing makes a house a home faster than some familiar faces.
- Throw it! Invite friends and family over for drinks and a bite to eat. Planning a party will get your kitchen in order and will get you emotionally connected to your new apartment. Your place will feel warm and cozy when filled with those you love. A party of this type, you know, is called a “house-warming” for this very reason.
Follow these guidelines and your new apartment will feel cozy and comfortable in no time!
Ayer Moving and Storage has resources to help you with your move and our Relocation Specialists can give you tips on saving money. Call us at (800) 233-6683 or visit our website for more information.